A General Radiotelephone Operator License (PG) is required to adjust, maintain, or internally repair FCC licensed radiotelephone transmitters in the aviation, maritime, and international fixed public radio services. It conveys all of the operating authority of the Marine Radio Operator Permit (MP). It is also required to operate the following:
- Any compulsorily equipped ship radiotelephone station operating with more than 1500 watts of peak envelope power.
- Voluntarily equipped ship and aeronautical (including aircraft) stations with more than 1000 watts of peak envelope power.
The General Radiotelephone Operators License test is comprised of element 1 and element 3.
- FCC Element 1 — Basic radio law and operating practice with which every maritime radio operator should be familiar. To pass, an examinee must correctly answer at least 18 out of 24 questions
- FCC Element 3 — General Radiotelephone. Electronic fundamentals and techniques required to adjust, repair, and maintain radio transmitters and receivers. The exam consists of questions from the following categories: operating procedures, radio wave propagation, radio practice, electrical principles, circuit components, practical circuits, signals and emissions, and antennas and feed lines. To pass, an examinee must correctly answer at least 75 out of 100 questions.
If you desire the Ship Radar Endorsement for this license, you must complete the element 8 exam.
To qualify, you must:
- Be a legal resident of (or otherwise eligible for employment in) the United States; and
- Be able to receive and transmit spoken messages in English; and
- Pass a written and/or telegraphy examination(s) as described above.
Term of License
A General Radiotelephone Operator License is issued for the holder’s lifetime.
How to Take the Exam
There are two ways to take the exam:
- Online Exam. This method allows you to take the exam from any location that has internet access using our remote proctored exam process. To take the exam, you must complete the online registration form found at the end of this page and pay your fee. Once you are registered and your payment has been received, you will be sent a link to the exam. You may take the exam at home, at work, or anywhere you have an undisturbed space that our remote proctor can observe via your webcam. Please see our online exam requirements here.
- Test Center-Administered Exam. This method allows you to take the exam with a live proctor at any of our 190 global test centers. You will need to select a test center during the registration process. After you have registered, you will receive information on how to schedule your exam date and time. Please note that if you select this exam method, you are responsible for paying the proctor fee directly to the test center. This fee is not included in the exam fee collected by iNARTE Exemplar Global. Please see our test-center-administered exam requirements here.
Regardless of the method selected, your test results will be available to you immediately following the conclusion of the exam.