Important: Before you sign up for an FCC Element Exam, you must create an FCC user profile and FRN (registration number). Click here to view a video that will walk through the process of creating the FCC user profile and FRN.Only persons whose commercial radio operator license bears the FCC Ship Radar endorsement may repair, maintain, or internally adjust ship radar equipment. The FCC Ship Radar Endorsement is comprised of FCC Element 8.
- FCC Element 8 — Ship Radar Techniques. Specialized theory and practice applicable to the proper installation, servicing, and maintenance of ship radar equipment in general use for marine navigation purposes.To pass, an examinee must correctly answer at least 38 out of 50 questions.
To qualify, you must hold or qualify for one of the following:
- General Radiotelephone Operator License (PG)
- GMDSS Radio Maintainer’s License (DM)
- Radiotelegraph Operator License (T)
- First Class Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate (T1). Note: As of May 20, 2013, the FCC no longer accepts applications for new T1 licenses, and T1 licenses for which renewal applications are filed are renewed as T licenses.
- Second Class Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate (T2). Note: As of May 20, 2013, the FCC no longer accepts applications for new T2 licenses, and T2 licenses for which renewal applications are filed are renewed as T licenses.