The iNARTE Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC/EMI) Certification Program is applicable to professional engineers and technicians practicing in EMC fields such as: bonding, shielding, grounding, EMI prediction, EMI analysis, conducted and radiated interference, and lightning protection.
Certified EMC engineers and technicians can add to their professional certification with the iNARTE MIL-STD EMC Specialist Certification.
The purpose of the EMC Certification Program is to foster technical excellence and establish a competency criteria for EMC personnel performing EMI control work. The program benefits the EMC community by establishing a standard of excellence in EMC engineering that will endure and extend across the boundaries of private and government agencies.
EMC Engineer or Technician?
Engineers know the math and physics of EMC. Technicians know the instruments and test setups. Engineers need good writing and verbal skills. Technicians need to know the pitfalls of real measurements.
All applicants have to be competent in the fundamentals, i.e., coupling, filters, shielding, etc. as well as the specifications which apply to their particular specialty.
Get Help Before You Take The Exam
|Study Guide $69.99||Buy Now|
|Practice Exam $39.99||Buy Now|
|Study Guide And Practice Exam Bundle $99.99||Buy Now|
|EMC Engineer||Exam||References||Education||Work Experience|
|Associate Engineer||Passing score of 70%||Three (One supervisor and two peer)||College/University Transcript/Diploma||N/A|
|Engineer||Passing score of 70%||Three (One supervisor and two peer)||College/University Transcript/Diploma||Nine years of EMC-related work experience|
|Associate Technician||Passing score of 70%||Three (One supervisor and two peer)||College/University Transcript/Diploma||N/A|
|Technician||Passing score of 70%||Three (One supervisor and two peer)||College/University Transcript/Diploma||Six years of EMC related work experience|
There is one part, four hours duration. All questions are multiple choice.
The exam is 50 questions and all should be attempted.
The exam is open book, open notes and a scientific calculator is allowed.
The pass mark is 70% average. Retake is possible after 90 days. There will be no credit for past exam scores.
Once your EMC Certification application fee is received, iNARTE will coordinate and arrange for a testing date, time, location and point of contact. The exam may also be taken on-line through a remote proctor
The examination for EMC Engineers or EMC Technicians is four hours in duration. All examinations are given with open book, open notes, and a scientific calculator is permitted in the exam room.
Examinations are graded at the Exemplar Global principal office and the applicant will be advised of a pass/fail within 10 working days.
Passing score for EMC Engineers or EMC Technician is 70% average. Should a candidate fail the examination, a retake is permissible following a 90 day period. Examinations may be retaken any number of times; however, an examination processing fee is required each time the exam is taken.
Candidates retaking the examination must achieve a passing grade at one four hour session and will not be allowed to take credit for grades achieved in parts of earlier sessions.
NOTE (1): This list is suggested but not all inclusive.
- Reference Data for Engineers: Radio, Electronics, Computer and Communications, Howard W. Sams Co., Inc., Indianapolis/Kansas City/New York, Seventh Edition, 1988.
- ANSI/IEEE STD 100: IEEE Standard Dictionary of Electrical and Electronic Terms, IEEE, 1984.
- Paul, Clayton R., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, New York, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.,
- Kraus, John D., Electromagnetics, McGraw Hill, 1986
- Kraus, John D., Antennas, McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., New York, NY
- Prasad Kodali, Engineering Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2nd Edition, IEEE Press, NY
- Mark I. Montrose, Printed Circuit Board Design Techniques for EMC Compliance 2nd Edition, IEEE Press, 2000
- NAVAIR AD 1115, EMC Design Guide for Avionics and Related Ground Support Equipment.
- EMC, Telecom and Computer Encyclopedia Handbook, EMF-EMI control, Inc., Warrenton, VA 20187, 1999.
- Gnecco, Louis T, MSEE, Problems and Solutions in Wireless Communications and Electromagnetic Compatibility, Tempest, Inc., Herndon, VA, February 1999.