Only persons whose commercial radio operator license bears the FCC Ship Radar endorsement may repair, maintain, or internally adjust ship radar equipment.
The FCC Ship Radar Endorsement is comprised of FCC Element 8.
- FCC Element 8 — Ship Radar Techniques. Specialized theory and practice applicable to the proper installation, servicing, and maintenance of ship radar equipment in general use for marine navigation purposes. To pass, an examinee must correctly answer at least 38 out of 50 questions.
To qualify, you must hold or qualify for one of the following:
- General Radiotelephone Operator License (PG)
- GMDSS Radio Maintainer’s License (DM)
- Radiotelegraph Operator License (T)
- First Class Radiotelegraph Operator’s Certificate (T1). Note: As of May 20, 2013, the FCC no longer accepts applications for new T1 licenses, and T1 licenses for which renewal applications are filed are renewed as T licenses.
- Second Class Radiotelegraph Operator’s Certificate (T2). Note: As of May 20, 2013, the FCC no longer accepts applications for new T2 licenses, and T2 licenses for which renewal applications are filed are renewed as T licenses.
How to Take the Exam
There are two ways to take the exam:
- Online Exam. This method allows you to take the exam from any location that has internet access using our remote proctored exam process. To take the exam, you must complete the online registration form found at the end of this page and pay your fee. Once you are registered and your payment has been received, you will be sent a link to the exam. You may take the exam at home, at work, or anywhere you have an undisturbed space that our remote proctor can observe via your webcam. Please see our online exam requirements here.
- Test Center-Administered Exam. This method allows you to take the exam with a live proctor at any of our 190 global test centers. You will need to select a test center during the registration process. After you have registered, you will receive information on how to schedule your exam date and time. Please note that if you select this exam method, you are responsible for paying the proctor fee directly to the test center. This fee is not included in the exam fee collected by iNARTE Exemplar Global. Please see our test-center-administered exam requirements here.
Regardless of the method selected, your test results will be available to you immediately following the conclusion of the exam.